By: Angie Stewart
Cliffside Park, N.J.-based Surgery Center of Cliffside alleges Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey underpaid the center for a lesion procedure by $58,120.40, court documents show.
Here’s what you should know:
1. Surgery Center of Cliffside filed a lawsuit against Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield of New Jersey and Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield July 3. Empire is a licensee of BCBS.
2. The ASC performed surgery on a patient insured by Empire who had a painful, rapidly growing lesion on the side of her face.
3. In January, prior to the procedure, an Empire representative told Cliffside the insurer would cover 80 percent of Cliffside’s facility charge after the patient met a $200 deductible, according to court documents.
The surgery was billed at $60,800. Horizon paid $2,679.60.
4. Cliffside submitted multiple appeals, and Horizon insisted it “correctly paid-out-of-network pricing and policy due to nonparticipating physicians.”
5. Cliffside contacted Empire to re-verify the patient’s benefits and was again told Empire would reimburse the center for 80 percent of reasonable and customary charges.